Good Morning!! Wow, it’s the 2nd of March already? Where’s the time go. It was Christmas day like 2 weeks ago….or so it seems! I am ready for spring though. I am happy that this Sunday we turn the clocks ahead an hour. That really helps with my afternoon running this time of year.
So this weekend, due to weather, I moved my long run from Saturday to Sunday. I ran 8 miles yesterday. It was not one of my best runs. It was hard. I ran Scott Blvd which is pretty much one long hill. I have run it before, but I just struggled this time. Here’s a photo of the notorious Scott Hill. I swear the photo does not do it justice!! You can look at elevation stats HERE I know that hills make stronger runners though, so I know it is making me stronger…even though…ouch
I was 4 miles in and my legs did not want to carry me. I was really noticing that I was running out of steam by about mile 5 & 6. So I am thinking about starting to carry some fuel with me on my long runs. Thinking about these options:
- Gummy bears
I also found this article which looked good: 17 Surprising Mid-Run Snacks
So I was pretty much dying when I got home, I called my daughter and had her fill a water bottle for me so it was ready for me when I got home! I need to figure out a good way to carry water on me during my long runs. I found this: BottleBand and it looks pretty promising! I might have to order one. I want to be able to carry one of my nice water bottles with me, without having to purchase a whole new one that is made to carry. I have a small handheld, but it only holds about 10oz.
I did the wall pose for about 10 minutes, then I soaked in a hot bath. After that we went to Pizza Ranch for dinner. I am not even all that sore this morning. YAY!
So during my run, because, ya know, I had 8 miles to ponder things, I started thinking about my goals for March. If you didn’t know, I turn 40 this month, so my main goal is to really try to be the healthiest I can be.
1. Weight Loss: I need to lose 50lbs…but not all this month of course!! I am planning about a 10lbs weight loss for this month. I need to do better and learning how to fuel my runs, but also my body in general. I need to balance my carbs for running without going overboard. More veggies and less snacking at night. I need to figure out this protein to feel full thing!
2. Mileage. My goal this month is 100 miles! Last month it was 75 and thanks to being sick for a week I only got 56 miles I think I started the month out good by getting 8 miles on the 1st though!
3. Stretching. I need, need, need to work on stretching more. I take my tight ol’ bod out to run and I can tell I don’t stretch enough. So I need to work on that this month
4. Bible Study. Ok, so this should have been #1. These goals aren’t coming in order of importance. Just random. I need to spend more time in the Word. I started a Wednesday night Bible study at church, but only went once. I just love having that alone time with Ralph when the kids are both in Youth Group now. So I need to just read more at home, do more readings that involve Ralph & the kids too. I cannot expect to grow in my relationship with Christ if I do not spend time reading what He wants me to know.
5. PR. I am hoping to PR at the St Patrick’s Day race on the 14th. It’s a 5K and I might be dreaming, but I would love to manage a sub-30 PR for that race. My last PR for a 5K was 31:58 so I’m not that far away….
So there you have it. Some goals that I feel are attainable for this month.
What’s your favorite Mid-Run fuel?
Do you have a Bottleband?
What are some of your goals for March?