Spring is coming….I can feel it! Time for this week’s Friday Five Link up with Courtney at Blog about running, Cynthia at You Signed up for What?! & Marathon Running! This week’s theme is SPRING. We’re all ready for it right? Can I get an AMEN?!
1. I think the first thing that comes to mind for me is Easter dinner ham. I love ham. I could eat ham 20 different ways I think (is there 20 ways to prepare ham?). In fact we just bought a ham this week and had scalloped potatoes with ham last night for dinner. Yum! I also love it cooked in the crockpot with brown sugar and soda over it. Let’s not forget just plain ol’ ham sandwiches! However, the funny thing is, I’ll eat ham just about every which way except as ham salad sandwiches. I just don’t like it all minced up with mayo I guess.
2. Veggies. Now is when we start seeing more local veggies popping up in the grocery stores. Another month or 2 and we will be able to buy them in the Farmer’s Markets. Oh Farmer’s Markets. I miss them in the winter time. As a Photographer I also love being able to take my camera and photograph
people items. I love being able to buy fresh produce, not stuff that had to be shipped to Iowa on a semi and refrigerated just right on that rig so that it was ripe by the time it gets here from California. Yes, those vine ripened tomatoes are not vine ripened! They put them green as can be on the semi and control the temp till they get here. How do I know this? My husband is a retired trucker. So knowing that is why I love to haunt the farmer’s markets when they open up. These photos are from the Soulard Farmer’s Market in St Louis when we were there on vacation.
3. My kids would put eggs on here. Of the Cadbury variety! Is that a food? Probably not. However, we have already had to buy some. Everyone in the family likes them but me. They are too rich for me, and I don’t really like chocolate. So there ya go. I am adding them to this list though…
4. Watermelon & Cantaloupe. Since we’re in Iowa, these tend to lean a little closer to summer fruit than spring fruit. However, I am including them. My daughter would eat a whole watermelon all on her own. She loves fruit so much, and so do I. During my pregnancy with her I craved fruit (and chocolate go figure) so I am sure that’s why she loves fruit so much. I am also a fruit eater though. I have to watch myself though, since I will eat way more fruit than veggies!! I love them.
5. Cold Pasta Salads. I don’t know why, maybe because I associate these with camping as well, but this is one of my favorite spring foods. I love cold pasta salads. Tossed with a light vinaigrette. Oh man, now I want a pasta salad! My mama always made a really yummy one with chucks of cheese, pepperoni, peppers… I need to find that recipe!
So this made me hungry. Now I need food! I just woke up a little while ago and have just had coffee so far. I’m going to have a hunt for pasta salad ingredients today. Right after my lovely birthday luncheon with church ladies today. Mexican food…yum!
What are some of your favorite spring foods?
Link up with us and join the fun!